Thursday, September 1, 2011

eye opening sonnets

Tonight I had a night class, a Shakespeare class.. the first one I've ever taken.. and right off the bat my thought was that the Professor looked like he was going to be serious and dull.. Boy was I wrong. Keeping a serious face the whole time, he was cracking jokes, and explaining several of Shakespeare's sonnets in a way that was super relavant and bringing me to conclusions I probably wouldn't have been able to come to on my own.. guess that's why he's the professor?

But then he said a few things that really hit home.. we were talking about the first 20 sonnets and we began discussing a sonnet that had a theme of stopping time.. and how no matter what we do, time will never stop.

He looked at us and said "everything you love.. everyone you love in the world.. is going away, you're going to lose.."

That really made me think. It made me sad. It made me think that I want to die before anyone else that I really care about so that I don't ever have to figure out how to live without them.. obviously this is very unrealistic.. but it was just a thought.

Right before he was going to let us out, about an hour early (yeah!) he said, "Everyone you love is an hour and ten minutes closer to death.. so why are you still sitting here?"

At that moment, I wanted to jump into my car.. and drive all the way home as fast as I could and jump into Thomas' arms.. and spend more time with my family..

Thankfully I only have to wait til Friday to do this.

I think this is going to be a good semester as far as classes go.

No comments:

Post a Comment