Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Subtext and Themes!

I've been working on a paper on "Romeo & Juliet" for my Shakespeare final and it's been getting me to think a lot about the writing of this play. (I've also been thinking about the acting and theatre production of it, but don't even get me started on that). Which has got me thinking... When Shakespeare wrote this play, do you think he had all these ideas in his head of themes he wanted to run throughout the play? Do you think he meant to focus on themes of love, destiny, fate, and use so many different metaphors for light? Was this something he planned or are all of these things just things we have used to analyze and better understand his writing?


I wonder if these were all things he intended for or if he was simply writing a passionate and comedic tragedy with all kinds of complex and significant characters.



Shakespeare, as we all know, has been around and will be around for a very long time and has been extremely influential in both academic and theaterical writing and performances. I started looking at different types of youtube videos for "Romeo & Juliet" and stubled upon some amazing ballet videos of it and distracted for a bit. Ok ok ok, I need to get back to my paper! Almost there!

No comments:

Post a Comment