Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Getting excited for the rest of college... and beyond!!

Today I'm meeting with an adviser again about changing my major and I'm really excited.
I know changing my major from Journalism to English when I'm this late in the game is crazy, but I really want to do it, I really think I can do it, and I'm really looking forward to doing it.

I keep thinking about my future, and my life after college. I know I'm going to move home, and I know I'm going to be working a lot to save money to go back to school and get my teaching credentials. I don't know how all of this is going to work, but I'm excited!

I'm going to be a teacher.
I'm going to be a high school English teacher.
I'm going to be a teacher that teaches more than just my subject.
I'm going to be the teacher that teaches and inspired kids to know they can do anything they want to do. I want kids to love high school, and to love English.
Obviously, I know not everyone will love English... but I at least want them to be interested and inspired, regardless of what they are wanting to choose as a future career.
I want to help them to be as prepared as they can be for college and for their futures.



Thinking about high school English keeps making me feel like I want to read books like "Lord of the Flies," "Hamlet," and "Cannery Row."
I didn't exactly "read" these books in high school, but I studied them,
and I feel like I should really READ them now.



One book that I DID read in high school was call "Kindred." This was a book that we didn't have to read in high school, by California standards, but our teacher wanted us to.
This book is about an African-American women living in California in 1976. She is married to a white man, and through some sort of sci-fi experience, she is taken back in time to a plantation in the south in the 19th century. Time in real life is stopped while she is gone, and she could be on this plantation for 3 years, then go back to current time and have only been gone for 5 minutes. Eventually her and her husband are taken back together and because he is white and she is black, they can't be "married" so he has to pretend like he owns her so that they won't be separated. It's pretty complex, but oh my gosh, it was my favorite book I actually read in high school... I may need to think about reading it again.



My ultimate goal is to be an English teacher at my Alma Mater, Salinas High.
I'm in love with this high school, and this town and would give anything to be able to teach there.
I'm going to do whatever I can to make this happen because when I fantasize about my teaching career, this is where I picture it happening.


No comments:

Post a Comment